天盟传媒 - 一个会员自行传媒的平台,人人都是传媒者!

标题: 一个关于数目还是质量的风趣小故事 (双语)Quantity or quality? [打印本页]

作者: 遇见时光    时间: 2023-7-24 18:40
标题: 一个关于数目还是质量的风趣小故事 (双语)Quantity or quality?
上了很多年学,老师教给我的大部分都还给他们了。但是有一个老师课堂上讲的小故事,我至今影象犹新,啥都不说了,免费分享给各人。

Quantity VS quality?

Once upon a time, an old teacher of mine told me a story that stuck with me for the rest of my life:
曾几何时,我的一位老师给我讲了一个让我终生难忘的故事:

On the first day of class, a pottery teacher split her class into two halves.
第一天上课,一位陶艺老师将她的班级分成两组。

In the first half, she said, “You will spend the semester studying pottery, planning, designing, and creating your perfect pot. At the end of the semester, we’ll have a competition to see whose pot is the best.”
她对前一组门生说:“你们将用整个学期学习陶艺、规划、设计和制作你们的完善陶瓷品。在学期末,我们将举行比赛,看谁的陶瓷品质量最好。”

To the other half, she said, “You will spend your semester making lots of pots. Your grade will be based on the number of completed pots you finish. At the end of the semester, you’ll also have the opportunity to enter your best pot into a competition.”
她对另一组门生说:“你们将用整个学期制作很多陶瓷品。你们的成绩将取决于你们完成的数目。在学期竣事时,你们还有机会用你最好的陶瓷品参加比赛。”

The first half of the class threw themselves into researching, planning, and designing. Then they set about creating their one perfect pot for the competition.
前一组门生投入到研究、规划和设计中。然后他们着手为比赛创造一个完善的陶瓷品。

The second half of the class immediately grabbed fistfuls of clay and started churning out pots. They made big ones, small ones, simple ones, and intricately detailed ones. Their muscles ached for weeks because of the strength they built by having to throw so many pots.
后一组的门生立即抓起一把粘土,开始搅拌制作陶罐。他们制作了大的、小的、简朴的和复杂的等各种各样的陶瓷品。由于他们及其认真地制作各色各样的陶瓷品,他们的肌肉酸痛了数周。
fistfuls 一把
intricately 复杂地
detailed 详尽的,详细的;(装饰)精致的,过细的

At the end of class, both groups entered their best work into the competition. Once the votes were tallied, all of the best pots came from the team that was tasked with producing as many pots as they could. What they learned from making so many different samples helped them become significantly better potters than the other students who set out to make the single most perfect pot.
课程竣事时,两个小组拿着自己最好的作品参加了比赛。统计完投票后,结果显示全部最好的陶瓷品都来自负责制作尽大概多的陶瓷品的团队(后一组)。相比于只追求质量的第一组同学,他们从制作云云多不同的陶瓷品中积聚了大量的履历和本领,然后靠着这些成为了更出色的陶艺家。
<hr>感谢您的阅读,如果您需要更多的双语故事,可以点击下面:

更多英语双语小故事(含音频)

欢迎光临 天盟传媒 - 一个会员自行传媒的平台,人人都是传媒者! (https://tianmg.com/mp/) Powered by Discuz! X3.4